Sunday, November 30, 2008

BEATING STRESS

LearnEnglish Professionals
BEATING STRESS AUDIOSCRIPT

A financial trader talks about the stresses of his job and how he beats it.

Interviewer: So why exactly does your job have a reputation for being stressful?

Financial trader: Stress is generally driven by the feeling of er being out of control of a situation and the feeling of a situation controlling you. Trading financial markets combines both these scenarios. Your erm financial position can change in a matter of seconds and what changes that position is generally a situation beyond your control as a trader. It is possible to lose in… in seconds what may have taken you a year to make. It’s the feeling of uncertainty, being out of control that causes the stress.

Interviewer: How do you relax in the evening?

Financial trader: I very rarely do anything work related so it’s easy to escape 'The markets'. I generally go to the gym or go for a run, especially if I’ve had a bad day. I always cook a meal rather than have a take-away to do something my brain would regard as creative. I find it quite therapeutic! More often than not I will watch some TV before going to bed as I find it helps me to wind down. If I go to bed straight after work it’s harder to sleep.

Interviewer: What do you do to beat stress at the weekend?

Financial trader: I like to be busy and active. I like the feeling of having achieved something over the weekend and it being productive. I definitely don't like wasting days. Most weekends are a mixture of household jobs like fixing something, shopping or gardening and socializing with friends. I also go to watch Arsenal at least once a week.

Interviewer: Do you think what you do to relax is an effective way to beat stress?

Financial trader: I don't think there is a specific rule about how to beat stress. I generally find that what I do is effective for me.

Interviewer: Would you consider changing your job because of the high stress factor?

Financial trader: I have considered leaving my job due to stress related factors. I do however think that an element of stress is a good thing and if used the right way can er actually be a positive thing. It can lead to a change in direction, erm success and, and stimulate you to do something new.

Interviewer: What do you enjoy about the stressful aspects of your job?

Financial trader: Having said all that, I do actually enjoy an element of uncertainty. It keeps you on your toes! I enjoy a mental challenge. Trading triggers a very wide range of emotions second by second. How you deal with and manage those emotions dictates short, medium and long term trading performance and success.

Interviewer: Do you become less stressed the longer you do the job or does it become more stressful as you go on?

Financial trader : I would say it remains constant. The source and the nature of the stress changes and how you deal with it changes due to experience, but, but, it's always there.

www.britishcouncil.org/professionals.htm
The United Kingdom’s international organization for educational opportunities and cultural relations. We are registered in England as a charity

No comments: